Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My staff has a red swollen toe, Roxy and she is 9, She is…

Customer Question
My staff has a...

My staff has a red swollen toe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy and she is 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

She is limping on it as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound but her pad is a bit red and she won't let me look properly

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
Just asked a questions about my staff Rox paid 16 pound don't want a free trail just to talk to a vet
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I have nothing to do with the finances. I just assist with Pets. All of finances is done by the site.

I siuspect Rox either got a stung by an insect like a wasp or bee or something imbedded in the paw. If she will aloow it you can try soaking the foot in some Epsom salts and warm water for 10-15 mins. This may take some inflammation out from the paw. I would also have Rxx seen by the Vet where they can give some light Anesthesia to get a good look at the paw and if something is imbedded, they can remove the foriegn body and also treat with an Antibiotic for any infection.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

The soak will help with initial pain, but the Vet can also give some pain medication

Joan

I have looked at her paw and can't see nothing but her toe is really red a swollen

There could be a nail bed infection or something imbedded. I would try the epsom salt soak and see if it relieves the inflammation. If it does not seem to offer any relief, then Rox may need an Antibiotic and anti inflmmatory to help the paw. It is always best when there is redness and inflammation like that to have Rox seen because infection can spread if not caught early on.

Joan

Can I use any antiseptic on her paw that would help
Don't not need a phone call back can cancel that please

The phone call is also ato by the site. Do not worry about that. You can try some Betadine and water mixture to a dark tea color, but may not penetrate where the problem is located. We need to reach the root of the infection to help with pain and redness.

The soak will help, but may not get to the infection.

Joan