Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Lethargic, vomiting, diarhhea for abot 15 hours yestetday.

Customer Question
Lethargic, vomiting, diarhhea for...

Lethargic, vomiting, diarhhea for abot 15 hours yestetday. Huge pupils in both eyes. We curtailed liquid last nite. Ice cubes only. She has drank a bit of that melted liquid this morning. Urinated this morning, normal. Brought me a stick and played fetch for aeile. Now ahain very lethargic. Shivering slightly. Keeping her warm. Her body feels stiff, and she has dog odor...not normal for her. Feels feverish. ,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

9 y/o. Otherwise very healthy

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

I will need a little more information to better help you.

Has this happened in the past?

Has there been any recent change in the diet or does she get any people food?

Has she gotten into any chemicals or is there a chance she ate anything else she shouldn't have?

No change in diet. Pedigree dog food only. We are checking with HOA to determine if pesticides were used on grass recently. That's the only thing we can think of.
Has not previously occurred.

I see.

My concern here would be either a toxin ingestion or severe upset stomach.

In this case, I would recommend a vet visit for one of two possible things: bloodwork to look at any potential signs of organ damage (such as liver or kidney damage), and potentially an x-ray to rule out anything foreign object in the GI tract. The pupil change has me worried about possible toxin exposure, however it could be pain related or due to organ dysfunction. I recommend having her seen this morning to make sure there is no major problem. If everything is normal with testing, symptomatic treatment with anti-vomiting medication and fluids is likely the next step.

Thank you. I'm happy to let you know of the result.

You are welcome. It would be great to have a follow up as well. I wish you both the best. Hopefully you will have a good answer soon.

Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

The vet X-rayed as she noticed minor bloating and area discomfort. No findings except a bit of a fuzzy area near her pancreas. Treatment: Under skin hydration, injection for N/V, pain meds, bland diet when tolerated, limited activity.She is better within the last few hours. Finally ate the small bit we allowed when offered. We are introducing food gradually...I assume that is the right thing to do.Thanks for your help! You were spot on!!!
I will defenitely request you again when needed!

I am glad to hear she is doing better! That is great news!

Just got a call from my son. She is not doing well. Still lerhrrgic, although she will go for a short walk. Strong urine scent in her breath. Could she have been misdiagnosed? Or in ketosis due to not eating?

I am sorry to hear she is not doing well. did they check any bloodwork? A strong scent to the breath could be due to kidney disease, diabetes (leading to diabetic ketoacidosis), or bad dental disease. Kidney disease and diabetes would be visible on bloodwork and urine testing. Typically with diabetic ketoacidosis they will not improve without hospitalization for a few days. Most often if this is just an upset stomach it can take about 24 hours or so to see major sustained improvement. A fuzzy area near the pancreas on x-rays may mean pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), which typically is going to be a few days in the hospital. Sometimes you can see signs of pancreatitis on bloodwork (abnormal cPL, elevated amylase and lipase, or elevations in the liver enzymes).

No, she did not do bloodwork, even with a 510.00 bill. I found it surprising, given you tended to lean toward bloodwork first...then possible X-ray.My son is taking her now to a highly recommended 24 hour Animal hospital. We should hear something shortly.Thank you so much.

I just wanted to follow up with you and see how your dog is doing.

Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Hello again.

I noticed you have not accepted or rated this conversation yet and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could help you with and just to also check in.

Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish both the best. Have a great day!