Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He is breathing hard and has been all night, and all day at…

Customer Question
He is breathing hard...

He is breathing hard and has been all night, and all day at the ranch he was throwing up and eating grass. He ate half a bowl of food this morning, and hss been drinking all day, but its unusual for him to be constantly breathing fast without panting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Hotah, 2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hotah?

A week ago i had found him as a stray in my neighborhood. He has a large wound on his back and testicles from someone burning him with chemicals. He has heartworms, had megacolon (it has passed now and he is able ti defecate properly), and is 25 lbs underweight. He is on medicine for antibiotics, treatment for heartworm, stomach relaxers, a type of steroid, and a cream for his back injury

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
9/18/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

The same. Hes not in tons of pain, hes just breathing weirder than normal and was throwing up a lot

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No, hes on sportmix 20/24 and eats it just fine, i give him peanut butter on a half piece of bread to give him his medicine, he doesn't chew up anything, runs around, and jumps and plays at the ranch. But when i bring him home even with him laying in the AC and him not hot whatsoever, he still breathes fast and throws up clear liquid when i take him outside

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. There is potential for his medications to be causing him to feel unwell.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in today. How is Hotah doing?

Hes doing better, not throwing up and able to eat

Excellent. Has the breathing become normal once again, as well?

.

Hi Emma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hotah. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse