Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate half a tub of margarine. He's a 60lbs weimaraner.

Customer Question
My dog ate half...

My dog ate half a tub of margarine. He's a 60lbs weimaraner. He's thrown up twice shortly after consuming it. He is very lethargic and will not eat his dinner.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

I've been trying to get him to consume water but he's not really drinking much.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
9/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow ate a half a tub of margarine and has vomited twice, is lethargic and has a poor appetite.

There are several different sizes of margarine tubs, either way it sounds like he is feeling the effects of eating the margarine.

That is a lot of fat, especially if he doesn't usually get a lot of fats. Eating a high fat meal can predispose to pancreatitis. Luckily he is a bigger dog, but given his lethargy, vomiting and poor appetite it is certainly possible that is what is going on with him..

Given his lethargy, poor appetite and vomiting ideally he would see a veterinarian, get injectable medications to ease his nausea and fluids to rehydrate him.

If that isn't possible today to try and help with stomach upset tonight you can start either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and could help settle his stomach. They are quite safe and can be used for a few days if need be.

I would with-hold food until tomorrow to rest his stomach.

If he stops vomiting and seems to feel better tomorrow morning then feed a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, (all fats and juices drained off the meat), and 2/3 boiled white rice or plain, white mashed potatoes. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.

Expect to see some loose stools with all of that fat.

If he continues vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat tomorrow or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify pancreatitis, and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara