Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He was in the yard I heard something hissing and he yelped…

Customer Question
He was in the...

He was in the yard I heard something hissing and he yelped and ran off..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

It was a bat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No he is acting normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No I can't find any bite marks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Puppers and he's 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puppers?

No he's been fine I was just worried if he might needs a rabies booster....he is all caught up on his shots tho

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am so sorry puppers had a run in with the Bat. Did you happen to catch or kill the bat?

Any small needle lit tooth marks any where on the body?

How is pupper now?

Joan

I didn't catch the bat ...I took dog in to check him immediately....it's gone now
Puppers seems to be acting ok
I mean the bat is gone
I'm just concerned about that fact that it was 11 am and that bat shouldn't be there...any normal bat shouldn't

Thank you! He should see the Vet for a Booster Rabies Vaccine and they may want to put him on a Prophalctic antibiotic just to be safe. The bat attack needs to be reported to the Local Animal Care and Control, so they can be aware of it and watch for other incidents.

I am not sure if your Vet will do that you will need to do that.

Joan

Ty

You are welcome! Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan