Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is keeping her head elevated trying to sleep and just…

Customer Question
My dog is keeping her...
My dog is keeping her head elevated trying to sleep and just recently I've noticed her breathing is wheezing like she has asthma and she started sneezing and gagging a lot. I had a tumor removed last year in her breast and now a red dot (like a blood blister) has appeared where her tumor was
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
9/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Does her wheezing seem to be coming from her nose or chest?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Probably about two weeks I thought it was just an allergy at first but I'm started to think she has collapsing

Hello again,

And in regard to those other signs I asked about?

Sorry her gums look black by the teeth but then pink at the base of her mouth. Her respirations are approx 32/minute she held her breath when I was counting the first time to burp or something weird. She feels warm to the touch like febrile not normal body temp. And she has constant tongue smacking (she has been doing this for over a year but recently it's constant she doesn't really ever take a break from smacking and swallowing in like a gulping fashion
I had three of her teeth pulled last year and had her spayed and a tumor removed from her right first mammory gland
No nasal discharge, but watery left eye. She has had the what smells like necrotic smelling Breath since I got her and she is on a low glucose diet from the veterinarian because she had constant diarrhea
No worms in her Excrement from what I can tell anyway
The vet mentioned a heart arrithmyia last time I took her in
Hope that helps
Oh and the wheezing sounds like it is at the base of her throats like when we have phlegm when we are sick

Good evening,

Now when we see dogs elevating their heads in this manner, it is usually related to breathing difficulties (ie lung issues, throat inflammation/partial blockage, etc) or can be a feature of nausea. That all said, if her breathing rate is only marginally elevated and she has gulping and lip licking, the latter nausea is more likely here. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, stomach ulcers, dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And I have to say our infectious agents can cause fever and affect the breath but at Bryn's age we can also see this with some systemic issues (ie kidney disease)

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, gut safe pain relief if needed +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Carly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bryn. How is everything going?

Dr. B.