Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is having tro8bkws going to the restroom. She's

Customer Question
My dog is having...

My dog is having tro8bkws going to the restroom. She's peeing fine but hasn't pooped in about a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ells age 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Elle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elle?

Her tummy is soft and I believe she's had direhha a little this week. May of been a bit bloody bit not much

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if she did have diarrhea recently it is possible to see a delay in feces once that settled. So, we may just need to keep an eye on Elle. Though if you are seeing her strain to go and are sure she hasn't eaten anything that could cause a physical blockage preventing feces from passing, and has no belly pain (since that would raise concerns of serious issue or severe impaction that should be evaluated by your family vet urgently) then there are some home treatments you can try to promote her passing feces.

In regards ***** ***** options, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if she has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.

Furthermore, it can also be beneficial to increase dietary fiber to keep our wee ones regular. So, you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into some canned food. It will be easier to offer but also will ensure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). Also do encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk if she isn't drinking well.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or Elle begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then we'd want a check with her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.