Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has a bulp above her anus but below the tail its

Customer Question
She has a bulp...

She has a bulp above her anus but below the tail its seeping

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Harley she is ten shit zue never preg

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Harley?

Ten

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

No shez very healthy she goez ever other day n no problem pooping

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Do you ever see her scoot her butt on the ground?

Is the seepage sort of oily and smelly?

Harley n she is ten never pregnant
No she never does that
Just call me

I'm unable to do a phone call right now. Can we continue this way? Otherwise I can opt out and see if someone else might be able to do a call.

No we can do it this way when I put a warm compress on it there's a little pus n tiny bit of blood don't know if she got bite by a spider

It actually sounds to me like she may have an anal gland abscess going on.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normally, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed, although some can abscess and rupture...which is what I think is going on with your dog.

There's a great article on them here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_anal_sac_problems

Usually we treat these issues with some oral antibiotics and pain medications to help the dog feel more comfortable until it heals.

I don't feel like this is anything that needs to be addressed by an emergency vet today, but if your own vet is open, you could give them a call and have them take a peek at her...otherwise, you can continue with the warm compresses and try a little topical antibiotic such as Neosporin on the area, and then give your own vet a call on Monday when they open.

I hope this helps.

I have been doing that also with the antibiotic ointment

It's good that you've already been doing that...and if you're not seeing any improvement, then it may be time to have the vet take a peek and get her on some oral antibiotics. Sometimes the compresses and Neopsorin just aren't enough to get it cleared up.