Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is almost 3 years old & she's in heat right now. But…

Customer Question
My dog is almost...

My dog is almost 3 years old & she's in heat right now. But she's been licking her vulva more than I remember her doing in the past during heat. She peed on the sidewalk two days ago which is so weird because she was right next to a huge patch or grass. Also, her pee looked dark yellow and thought I don't really ever see her pee color because he pees on the grass, I thought she might be having urinary troubles also. I've been watching her more closely and she hasn't owed on the sidewalk again but she peed in two separate places this evening back-to-back, which I have never seen her do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Her name is Blanche.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blanche?

She's otherwise totally healthy. She's been eating and drinking normally.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/16/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Blanche.

Now given that she has had a change in urinary habits, is going more often and the urine is dark; this does raise concerns of possible bladder infection. We can see darkening with dehydration but that'd not fit with her going in odd places and going more often.

Now to give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.

Now while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, in her case, I would advise that is prudent for Blanche to see her vet (urgently, though not an emergency situation). If possible, especially since crystals in the urine can cause underlying cystitis infections and a problem itself, you should try and collect a urine sample (that can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection.

Overall, when we see a young dog with these urinary changes, we do have a few concerns (ie bladder stones, crystals, infection, etc). That said, the most common reason will be a bladder infection. Therefore, do consider increasing Blanche's fluid intake and monitoring her, but also collecting a urine sample and getting her checked by her vet. The vet can perform a full examination to rule out those other concerns for her. And if a bladder infection is confirmed they can get her onto treatment and get her back to normal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**