Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Throwing up drinking water a lot urinating loss of weight, I…

Customer Question
Throwing up drinking water...

Throwing up drinking water a lot urinating loss of weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I don't know he's lost a lot of weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

7 and his name is Capone

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Capone?

7 he's an american bulldog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Capone?

I gave him a dewormer last night he is very lethargic

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
9/14/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Capone isn't feeling himself, not eating, drinking lots of water, vomiting, and losing weight.

A normal dog needs to take in 1 to 2 ounces of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period. That includes what he drinks as well as water found in his food. Dogs that eat canned food therefore need to drink less. Of course in hot weather they drink more.

So for example a 50 pound dog will usually take in 50 to 100 ounces of fluids in a 24 hour day (roughly 6-12 cups of fluid intake). They drink more when eating all dry food and less with all canned because canned food is primarily water.

When an owner reports that their pup is drinking more I recommend that they measure the amount of water she drinks in a 24 hour period for a couple days to see if he truly is drinking too much. In your fellow's case because he is vomiting this won't be possible to do reliably.

But since there has been a noticeable change in the amount he is drinking and urinating, he is not eating and he is vomiting, and this has gone on long enough to cause weight loss I am very concerned. Having him seen and some testing done is more urgent, as I am concerned he will become dehydrated.

I would be concerned about internal organ disease (especially kidney disease, but liver disease is possible too) or an infection, especially in his urinary tract (if he is not neutered a prostatic infection would be a concern) as well as ketoacidotic diabetes, Cushing's disease, or some types of cancer that cause increased water consumption and thus increased urination.

I know that it won't be easy because it is after hours but I highly recommend that your fellow see a veterinarian for an examination, complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a urinalysis to start.

In some cases they may recommend abdominal radiographs or an ultrasound to diagnose his condition.

This does not sound like something that can be helped with home remedies, given that he is now vomiting.

If you cannot find anyone to see him tonight to try to settle his stomach and improve his appetite you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help him feel a little less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

To stimulate his appetite if he stops vomiting start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.

If these things are not helping then he should be seen tomorrow morning.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****