PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He is completely fine during the day and then, sorry- at

He is completely fine during the day and then
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: sorry- at night he has diarrhea and whines and helps and goes in his kennel if I don't get up fast enough. He even threw up last night. It just started happening two nights ago. But in the morning he is fine and playful and his poops are mostly solid
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is an 11 week old husky, and has gotten sick a few times

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

JACustomer, if you'd like we can text but I cannot make a call at this current time. We can also continue chatting online, whichever is easier for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you're able to text that would be great. I changed his food a couple weeks ago but he's been fine until the last couple days. We also just moved and I'm living at my moms with him so that's new. He also gets into the tortoise area and eats their vegetables and I've tried putting a piece of wood up to block him from getting in. I'm wondering if that could be it but it's just weird that it's only happening at night
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually if it costs more to text then I'd rather just message on here, thanks

I have proposed an offer for texting via cell phone.

Have you tried kenneling him during the day to see if you can keep him from ingesting the vegetables and such, to see if this induces improvement at night?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he just hates his kennel and so he barks and whines and then if I'm gone my family lets him outside and they don't keep him from getting the vegetables, it's been really frustrating.

You may need to discuss with your family that letting him out is not an option. You could also consider doing day boarding at a vet clinic for 2-3 days during one week to see if this caused a response in the overnight symptoms.

As well, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think it may just be caused by something he ate? Is there anything I can do to stop the diarrhea?

Did my post above come through? It will help with the vomiting and the diarrhea, but it may take 24-48 hours to see improvements and if he keeps eating things he shouldn't the diarrhea is apt to persist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you so much! I will follow your advice :)

You're welcome. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy