PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is experiencing some atrophy in her rear left leg and

hi! my dog is experiencing some atrophy in her rear left leg and tends to drag her paw slightly when she walks. is there any exercise or diet to help boost her muscle?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, i took her to the vet already and she said that she was just experiencing some atrophy in the muscle in that leg but they didnt really provide a solution
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: riley, 8 years old, boxer, very fit, lots of energy and can still leap over large objects!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: hmm. i believe thats all. i was also wondering what vegetables would be good for her. i was thinking spinach and carrots to add to her diet

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything is fine with her health wise, but she drags her rear left paw a little. There is no wound anywhere on the foot and she can still run without a problem and jump without a problem. I'm assuming this is because of old age but would like to know if there's any exercise or diet I could add to help regain some strength in her legs

Have any diagnostics been performed thus far to rule out a medical problem, such as spinal x-rays and neurological examination?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took her to the vet and they said it was just some atrophe in the muscle if the back leg. They didn't run any tests and didn't provide any solutions.

That's unfortunate. I'd push for a second opinion if she were my own companion. At very least, x-rays would help to determine if there is arthritis, narrowing of disc spaces, etc. could be leading to weakness in her back end. A MRI might also be recommended to rule out the potential of tumors and such. Can you provide a video of what you're seeing?

Checking in. How is Riley?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have an appointment with a vet tomorrow. They agreed that it would be smart to check everything, even if it's just a n examination of reflexes.

Excellent. Would you like me to check in with you tomorrow night for an update?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure! That would be great. Do you have any recommendations for anything to add into her diet to help with anything related to the problem? Like a possible inflammation of the spine which could affect her coordination?

Do you have her on any joint supplementation yet such as glucosamine, MSM or GLME?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started giving he "senior wellness hip and joint advanced" chewables once a day. They have glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. Should I be giving her direct supplements instead of the I used chewables?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Infused*
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started her on those a week ago

Give me one second. Let me do some research on this product. How many are you giving each day total?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says to give 5 a day for a dog over 50lbs

Thank you for the additional information. This would be a better product but it is along the same lines as the one you're using: https://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9009205120 This product contains a few joint-conditioning ingredients that the current product doesn't contain such as green lipped mussel extract (GLME). You can learn about the natural anti-inflammatory properties of GLME here: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/green-lipped-mussels-dog/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much! Just ordered a few.

Sure thing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi,
sorry i didnt see this message until now! So i took her into the vet and they think its a pinched nerve and gave her prednisone and she has an appointment to see the chiropractor there. im hoping thats alli t is. They did the test to see if shed correct her paw if it was placed on the knuckles and there was a slight delay at first but then she did it every other time. I do it occasionally at home just as a small reassurance and she still corrects it every time.