Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog passed away at the age of 14 and he had thrown up 3

Hi my dog passed away...
Hi my dog passed away at the age of 14 and he had thrown up 3 times in 2 days and it appeared to be grass in this throw up and on the second day he became non responsive but was still alive and we had to euthanize him. I wanted to know why he passed so suddenly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of, butI did see a lot of grass.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Joey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey?
Customer: The veterinarian said that he may have died from kidney disease.
9/14/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Was bloodwork run before he was euthanized?

He had been eating bacon strips treats but he has had them in the past just not recently. He did eat human food from my toddler when he would throw the food on the floor only. No blood work done.
When will I be able to chat

Were these treats intended for dogs or for humans?

What types of food were shared by your toddler?

We can chat how if you're able?

No
I can chat

No to which question?

The treats were for dogs
All different kinds of food from my toddler
Live phone call
Why is this chat so delayed

I have to receive your response, read it, type a response and send it.

Ok
Am I talking to a live person or a robot

I'm human. Give me just a few more moments and I'll have a response for you.

Ah, the website offers those. I have no control and didn't know you'd been prompted. Sorry about that.

Given the age of your companion, your vet is correct the organ failure such as kidney disease may have been the root of the reason he became sick so quickly. That said, dogs eating human food can increase their risk of pancreatitis which can be life threatening in some situations (often in smaller breed dogs or older individuals). Even if dogs have received human food in the past, this can develop at any time. The only way to be 100% sure of the cause would be to have a necropsy performed following euthanasia to take a look at the internal organs and see what may not have been functioning well. In senior animals, as far as organ function goes, we do concern ourselves with regular failure of liver, kidneys, heart, etc. As mentioned, the pancreas being inflamed was an increased risk with human food, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

If I had got him to the vet when he first threw up with be able to have saved his life

It's possible, but it would all depend on what was wrong. If this was organ failure it's unlikely.

Would

Organ failure in regards ***** ***** kidney disease as the vet said

Certainly. Although this could have been others, as well, such as liver failure, heart failure, etc.

In two days he became unresponsive but kept breathing and clean to life for an hour or two before they euthanized him

It sounds like you guys made the right decision to let him go. He was in critical condition.

I have a lot of guilt about his passing. I felt like I didn't do enough. It happened so quickly and was unexpected
this
Sorry The last message was by mistake

It's not uncommon for older dogs to decline in health quickly, so don't feel guilty. At 14, he was a very old dog. That's roughly 100 in human years.

Both of my dogs haven't been to the vet in years because of our financial situation. Would that have anything to do with his passing

It could, but I think the potential is higher that this may have just been his time given his age.

that's what the vet said. He had thrown up many times in the past so the first day I thought he would feel better after he threw up like he did in the past and then the second day in the morning he didn't seem himself so I wrapped him in a blanket and held him for a while and then when I was going to put him in his cage to rest he threw up a lot of water that I have never seen before and in the afternoon I got of the shower and I heard barking noises and he is not the type to bark a lot. And when I went to the cage he was unresponsive and limp but still breathing the whole time until the vet euthanized him

You made the right decision to let him go based on the fact that he was unresponsive and limp. It was his time.

The nurse that I spoke to said if they had caught something wrong there's no guarantee that he would live longer he could've lasted months or longer
It would have been a big expense right with medicines. He would of been 15 in December. My other dachshund turned 15 in July
What is the typical aged Dachshunds can live to

Usually between 13 and 15 years of age. Occasionally we see some live to 17 or longer, but very rare.

Ok he would've been 15 and three months so he had a good long life. So even if they caught what was wrong with him he wouldn't of had much time to live right?

It's likely his quality of life would have been compromised, that's correct. And treatment may have been quite expensive.

My other dog is 15 so it's sad to say that he doesn't have very much time either correct
Compromise meaning not too much time left for him? Can u tell me the definition of that because I forgot and I'm not very clear as to what that word means

That's likely correct, as well.

do you agree it was best for him to pass on expectedly and quick in a matter of two days
Are you still there?
Are you still there

I think it was a good choice to euthanized. I'm still here.

Quality-of-life compromised meaning it would've been tough for him and uncomfortable if we prolonged his life.
I'm sorry I've just felt so guilty these past few days wondering if I could have prevented his death

That's correct. I do not believe this was preventable, as mentioned above. Based on what you shared, it was his time.

One more question so if he had been on medicine to help the situation that was diagnosed there is not guarantee that he would of lived to 17 years old correct?

We don't know what was wrong. If his kidneys were at the point of failure, medication was likely not going to help much if at all. The fact that he was limp and barely clinging to life is a good indicator that he would not have reached 17, unfortunately.

Medication to help with any issue of his health was not going to help because he went unresponsive correct

That's correct. Not all conditions are treatable with medication, it all depends on what is actually wrong.

I was feeling so guilty about his death like I could've prevented it so you have put my mind at ease thank you for all your help

You're welcome.

Also Because he was unresponsive is probably due to organ failure
Are u still there

I apologize for the delay. I signed off after said you had just one more question. You're correct, organ failure may well have played a role in him being unresponsive.

I feel bad that I wasn't holding him when he became unresponsive. He had been resting fine until I came out of the shower and heard very faint barking noises. Are those barks of pain

I'd need to see/hear this to know but I anticipate it was likely disoriented barks due to being unconscious. Similar to how people mumble, groan, etc. when they're not lucid.

Ok so even though he was unconscious he would still be able to breathe for as long as he did until he was euthanized?

That's correct. Unconsciousness is very similar to sleep. And just like sleep you're able to continue breathing.

Would he have felt scared that I wasn't holding him when he was going through from being alive to unconsciousness

Not at all. He'd have been unaware even if you were.

What about before he went into being unconscious would he have felt like he needed a human to console him? I just feel bad I wasn't there for his transition from being alive to being unconscious.
Are u still available

I'm here, but also helping other customers.

Chances are unconsciousness was a slow onset. I anticipate he was likely not pining for human contact or he'd have come to a human for attention.

I had him in his cage with my other dog and the door was locked

It would have been hard to tell, in such a case. That said, he did have the company of your other dog, if so.

Would he have felt comfortable with his brother or would he have felt scared about not being able to get out of his cage. I'm sorry I just feel guilty not being with him when he went unconscious
I just didn't want him to feel alone when he went through this

These are all questions based on speculation that I cannot answer for you with certainty. I think the focus I would have here is not on what happened before his passing but that you saved him from suffering by having him euthanized. If he was familiar with his brother, he would have felt as though he was with a companion and likely comfortable in such a presence.

When dogs become unconscious do they still feel the presence of us holding him before he was put to sleep like humans do

He'd likely have been entirely unaware of what was going on around him.

Ok I have been feeling very down and guilty that he would of been feeling like I didn't care about him when he went unconscious

I don't think that would be the case at all, especially since you spent 14 years together.

Ok I just wanted him to be as comfortable as he could be and was hoping that he didn't feel like I neglected him by not holding him when he transitioned from being alive to unconscious

I understand.

Do you think in his last moments he would of known that I took care of him before he became unconscious by holding him in the morning before I put him in the cage and not have felt that I abandoned him before he became unconscious

I think he would have valued that time with you, certainly, as most pets do getting to spend any time with their owner. I think it's very likely didn't know his passing was coming.

I am preparing to sign off for the evening and will check back in tomorrow to see how you're holding up. You may want to spend some time on a pet bereavement site to come to terms with your recent loss. This may help give you peace: http://www.aplb.org

Ok thank you for all your help. You really helped me feel a lot better than I did before I talked with you

Certainly. Happy to assist.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse