Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Is this real? In the early morning from 2:30-6am he will

Is this real? JA: I'll do...
Is this real?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: In the early morning from 2:30-6am he will whine to go outside to the bathroom. Seems like he's trying to go. No issues during the day.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: His anus is black as well where normally it's never been.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Doesn't seem to be in pain
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 11
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: He was having issues about a month ago with same early morning issues, vomited a few times during that early time. Wasn't eating really. Was given injections for nausea and for gas and helped
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Charlie eat anything unusual?
Customer: He tends to eat anything he can find. So probably. But it wasn't an obstruction.
9/14/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he needing to urinate or defecate?

Any accidents in the house?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No accidents in the house. Just whining to go outside in the very early hours every couple hours. But fine during the day. Food is not new and is eating fine. He does get into things being part beagle and will eat anything paper wise ect.
Defecate

Is the stool normal when it's produced?

Do you recall when his last fecal examination occurred through your vet's office?

Is he on a monthly dewormer, as well? If so, what?

He had issues about a month very similar but he vomited a few times and wasn't really eating. Labs came back ok thryroid was borderline low. Injections were given to help with immediate relief. And pills. He recovered and now this. Stool sample came back normal
My husband said it looked like he was trying to go but nothing was there. I haven't followed him out there when it's 3am.
He is on dewormer I'm not sure of the name
Why would his anus be black?

Can you share a picture of the anus? When did it begin changing colors?

Have you found any abnormal stool in the yard since he's outside alone at 3am to potty?

No we havent found any abnormal stool

Can you share a picture of the anus?

Is that picture not ok?

If you posted one, it did not arrive.

There we go. That one came through.

Skin pigmentation can occur for many reasons. Inflammation can certainly be one cause, so the recent staph infection may be to blame there. If so, it should improve within a few weeks of the resolution of symptoms. We can also see skin pigmentation occur with age and also with conditions like hypothyroidism. You'd mentioned that the lab work showed his thyroid to be borderline low and this symptom may well fit that finding. If he needs to go on supplemental thyroid medication in the future this may also change the pigmentation of this anal tissue, as well. Typically we do not concern ourselves with this alone unless there are other symptoms such as swelling, anal gland impaction, scooting behavior, licking of the anus, etc.

Based on the fact that Charlie tends to eat things he's not supposed to eat, this may be why he's wanting to go outside in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Typically attempting to without production is associated with GI cramping and may be due to a range of concerns from intestinal parasites to dietary indiscretion. Sometimes diarrhea is associated, sometimes it's not. It can also be associated with flatulence. I would urge someone to step outside with him at 3am and see what else might be happening. Does he seem to have a lot of gas production at this hour? Do you see blood being passed? Any fluid? Any diarrhea? Does he attempt and produce nothing at all? Answers to these questions can give information on what may need to be done in the future from monitoring to diagnostics like x-rays.

You may wish to try adding some fiber to the diet such as pure canned pumpkin or boiled rice to see if this helps, as well as an antacid like Pepcid. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 A regular adult dose of gas-x can be given, as well, is flatulence is noted.

If you wind up with additional information in the days to come on what symptoms he's experiencing when he's outdoors and wish to re-address this with me, feel free to keep this link. We can continue our discussion then at no additional charge.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Ok thank you! We did give him pepcid one night and that seemed to help. I will do that tonight.

Sure thing. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse