Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My yorky mix is definitely uncomfortable and continues to

put her in the to...
My yorky mix is definitely uncomfortable and continues to put her in the to relieve some sort of pain. I have a pic if you want to see it. She hasn't had anything bad except i gave her some french fries around 1230 p et. She's had ff before with no issue. I looked up ff and found that they are bad for dogs. She's small and I'm worried. About 6 pounds at best 4 years old in January.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She threw up once. Hasn't really peed for a while. She pooped 1x this morning and peed probaly 3x all day. It's currenly 1024p et. Been about 5 hours or better since she has peed.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: French fries. Small amount.
9/14/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

French fries can certainly cause GI discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Can you attach the picture?

Thank you. Can you tell me what makes you believe she's in pain vs. nauseated with the vomiting?

She was shaking like she was scared. She is very small. She keeps moving around like she is uncomfortable and cant stay in ine spot for more than maybe 3 mins. Then she runs and does the yoga pose. I call it a yoga pose. She keeps going under the bed. She isn't right at all. When I looked it up on the Net i found pancreatitis with body language like she had.

This is certainly a sign of nausea and GI discomfort, likely from the ingestion of the fries. Don't be surprised if you see vomiting or diarrhea in the next few hours. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I take omeprosal myself in a casule form. Can i use that? Its 40mg.0mg
I do have 20mg tablets

How much does he weigh?

Excuse me, she. I missed a button.

5.5 pounds. She's pathetic when she gets sick. My heart bleeds for her.
She's so little.

Hopefully these steps will make her feel better. At 5.5# ***** can take Omeprazole but she would need 2.5mg or 1/18th of a tablet. I'd use famotidine instead.

Everything is closed here. Is that based on 20mg or 40mg? 1/8th tablet?

Famotidine comes in 10mg and 20mg dosages. She would need 2.5mg, which is 1/4 of the 10mg or 1/8 of the 20mg.

If you use the Omeprazole she needs a very tiny amount. It would be 1/16th of a tablet of the 40mg or roughly 1/8th of a 20mg tablet.

Ok. I just found more puke. Thank you for your advice. I worry about her.

If it continues, don't hesitate to seek medical advice overnight from an ER vet. They will have injectable meds on hand to help.

Lastly. If I gave her much omeprosal what could happen. I won't but I want to know what to look for.

We usually see GI upset only, so persistence of symptoms, essentially.

Ok. Thanks a ton. You have really helped. Like i said she's my girl. She can't take care of herself.

You're so welcome :)

I tried. She won't eat. Ugh. I'll try tomorrow am. It's 1115 p where I live.

You can pill her if needed. The directions are above.

Thanks. G'night. I actually feel better. Thanks again.

Night!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse