How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Scott Perry Your Own Question
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1295
Experience:  DVM
97381174
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Scott Perry is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am worried about my golden retriever Simba...I am a single

This answer was rated:

Hello...i am worried about my golden retriever Simba...I am a single mother of two trying to help a very ill 6yr old dog fight what bloodwork shower white blood sells out of control...dr. said raging infection..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He has been given Baytril136.mg by injection after bloodwork and then chewable for 7days.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Simba is being treated for an infection with Baytril. I am sorry to hear about the problem she has. Do you happen to know where the infection is coming from (i.e. blood, urine, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No...but he was almost dead in the beginning...he had raging unknown infection. I paid for blood work iv fluids and But. B object. Baytril injection 138mg chewable after bloodwork
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was about 75to80%better..at the end of antibiotics. 3days later he looked like it was coming back.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It took him 4days to come back to 80%on 2nd round of7days w Baytril

How many days was he on the antibiotic? Was a recheck blood test performed before the antibiotic was finished?

7 days total with Baytril?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again he is 75to80%. I am going out of town in 6days for work and am afraid it will come back again in a few days since he is not 100%

Yes, it sounds like he needs to stay on the antibiotic and not get off it until the infection is completely cleared. This antibiotic is also considered a "narrow spectrum" antibiotic, which means it will not treat other kinds of bacteria. The veterinarian may want to add an additional antibiotic to expand the coverage of bacteria. They should also consider performing a culture of the urine to see if the infection is located in that area.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot afford to redo bloodwork until sept.30.payday. would it be reasonable to give him more Batril, or his original 500metronizole antibiotic just to be safe. He is Eating 34x a day and drinking well. I am afraid of I do not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He may go down hill while I am away.

The metronidazole treats anaerobic bacteria only, which is usually only those located in the intestines. It is unlikely the infection is there, so that antibiotic will not be much help. If antibiotics are going to be expanded then the most common thing to do is to add a penicillin or cephalosporin. An example is called Cephalexin or Clavamox. This would be a better choice. In the meantime, your goal is to keep Simba well hydrated and well fed in order to help recovery.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was a healthy 6yr old dog. He was on 7daysantibiotic off 3...vet was on vacation. then finishes 7th day tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vet said to let it ride out and see if infection cleared before more rx

If you can not recheck the blood work to see if the infection is improving then that is a good approach. If he is not 100% yet then he likely still needs to be on the antibiotic. One of the ones I mentioned above would be the best choice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the ability to give him ciprofloxacin instead. Also he still has metronidazole500 from beginning. He was so weak in beginning he could not keep it down. I was unsure of trying it now that the vet will not give more baytril. Again I am leaving out of town in 6days and pleased with vet. They said it would be bad medicine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have used my whole mortgage payment and spent every 2 hours from 14days ago...feeding him from my hand and giving him water ....he is almost there..eben trying to play fetch and jumping up for higs.. I just think of only 80%It is bad medicine to not consider fully treating before new bloodwork on the 30th
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am afraid if infection comes back while I am away at work...he will not make it and suffer unnecesarily.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for typos...i just want to do the right thing to finish his infection off 100% or close until I return. If he goes down I would rather be here to help him
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will be home 5 days for work
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oops..i meant gone
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.. should I give the metronidazole w other antibiotic? Or is that overkill?

Baytril is actually very similar to ciprofloxacin, so that medication will not broaden our spectrum as much as we need. It would be best if they would be willing to extend the antibiotic coverage with Cephalexin or Clavamox (or a sulfa antibiotic) while you are away so that he does not go off antibiotic.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I did not see the specific antibiotics you mentioned above?

Clavamox, Cephalexin, or a sulfa antibiotic is a better choice to add with the Baytril. They will expand the coverage of bacteria, which would be better in case there is bacteria that the Baytril does not treat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you...I feel like I can breathe a little with a plan... the wait and see approach is not proactive enough...and the dog has bounced back and fought hard to get 75/80% .. I do not want to see him back at 1%... his blood glucose was. .1 and kidneys slightly elevated and same w liver. He was severely anemic as well.. vet said a raging infection can do that. He is also on iron drops 2x a day
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His bowel movements continue to be normal and fecal exam was negative...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was also dehydrated and lost 11 lbs total... now he is extra hungry
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
drinkin well on his own...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am giving him beef and rice and chicken and rice.. w pumpkin...any other ideas for weightgain?

That is all good. Continue to feed the regular food and offer water regularly. I am going to add one more possible antibiotic that would be good in case this is a tick borne illness. Doxycycline is a treatment for bacteria that ticks carry, but a blood test can determine if he has this infection. I would recommend to stick with the low fat options right now and focus more on him eating well. The chicken, rice, potatoes, or a low fat prescription food is good to stay on right now.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. You have done a great job nursing him back to health.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ty I will let you know. I am glad I Google for help. I am glad God sent me to this site and particularly to you for answers. I use common sense and instincts. However, even though I have had dogs all my life, I am 47....I have never had one who could only recover most of the way. I am thankful for your time ,patience and answers. I do not want to give up on a good, young dog, unless I have tried everything I could . Again Ty and good night

You are welcome. Take care

Scott Perry and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Simba is continuing to recover slow and steady. He even ate the bowl of regular dog food I put out for him while I was at work. I have been giving him cephalexin and the ciproflaxacin. He is much more perky and hungry. I was a little unsure how to rotate the meds...i have been giving him 500 Cephalexin 2x a day and ciprofloxacin 150mg 1x a day
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciated all of your help and information. Thank you for helping me care for him. I am not against giving him follow-up bloodwork and care for him accordingly. However as a single mom of 2.. I do not have the extra money available. I need to wait until the 30th. Are there any vitamins that could help with his overall recovery that I am unaware of?