Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Why is my puppy vomiting after I have her worm medication?

Is that normal? JA: I'm sorry...
Why is my puppy vomiting after I have her worm medication? Is that normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, but last night there was a lot of vomit. I didn't know her stomach could hold that much... and about 10 minutes ago she threw up again with what appears to be something red or blood
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dolly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dolly?
Customer: Besides her first shots, this is the only medicine she has had
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share pictures of the vomit?
2) What dewormer was given?
3) Was this dosed at home or prescribed by your vet?
4) How long ago was it given?
5) How old is your puppy?
6) Were worms diagnosed or was this preventive?

Not yesterdays, it has been cleaned up..
The brand was safe guard, for dogs 6 weeks and older
It was dosed at home
Yesterday about 4 and then again today at about 4:30
She's 2 months (10 weeks)
And the only reason I knew she had worms was because she had some in her stool. She's not acting odd, she gaining weight like normal, she doesn't have a bloated or "hard" belly either

Has she vomited today? If so, any pics of the bloody material?

Is she being fed a meal with the dewormer?

I gave her the normal dinner with the worm medication. No, it's all liquid

Your puppy may be vomiting due to intestinal parasites or due to the dewormer. If this persists outside of the dewormer, it would be wise to have your companion examined and treated. The intestinal parasites may be causing enough nausea that the deworming has not been effective. In such a case your companion may need not only treatment for the vomiting but dewormer used, such as an injectable.

I would recommend trying to dewormer her tomorrow for the final dose 30 minutes after giving a dose of Pepcid to keep her stomach calm. You'll give the Pepcid, then feed 30 minutes later and give the dewormer.

For the Pepcid, you will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

Thank you so much!

You're very welcome!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse