Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She has a quarter size mass just under her ear, Monster is

Customer Question

She has a quarter size mass just under her ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Monster is her name and she is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monster?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this mass to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a picture but I don't have those icons

You'll need to use an external app then, or you can have customer service help you get it to me:***@******.***, http://ww2.justanswer.com/help, or 1-***-***-****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is apic

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Ah! It's a subcutaneous mass the cause of which can only be determined by needle aspirating it and examining the aspirate microscopically. This can be done while you wait in the exam room but if Monster's vet can't be definitive for you, the aspirate can be sent to our pathologist for review. Such bumps can represent tumors, cysts, a seroma (serum-filled), a hematoma (blood-filled), or abscess (pus-filled). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will make an appointment for her to see her vet tomorrow

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.