PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is 3 months shy of 14, he's old and his time is

My dog is 3 months shy of 14, he's old and his time is coming to an end. After a good summer of walking a half a mile or a mile twice a day he cut back to a quarter mile 3 weeks ago and the past few days doesn't even want to go more than 50 feet. He's still eating with his med - carprofen for arthritis and glucosomine and tri omega oil supplements twice a day. He's been eating 2 cups of kibble about every other day but the last time he did that was saturday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he's been whinning more these past 3 weeks and today is whinning constantly. he's a husky/shepard mix about 84 lbs, his name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: I've also given him tramadol the past few days but I'm not sure it's helping. I will talk with my vet tomorrow. What I'm wondering is if I can give him xanax, he seems more anxious and restless. When I massage him he doesn't seem to be in pain but I'm not sure.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How many milligrams of tramadol are you giving Lucky and how often?

Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have any meds helped with the whining?

Is he able to relax and rest?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im outside with him now, he had to poop ans pee. Hes quiet for the first time in 6 hours. Every 8 hours, whatever max dose is gor 84 lbs. No vomiting or diareah.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm gonna sit out here wirh him a few min, then try bed again.

I'll need to know the milligram to be able to assist further. There's a wide range for dosing on tramadol.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to bribe him with a treat to get him to come inside. He seems to be resting, he's finally quiet after 6 or so hours of almost constant whinning and panting in varying degrees frim mild to moderate, with regular barking mixed in on and off. I hope we both can sleep now!

If you need further support, just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He slept well last night. Whined a bit around 3:30am but i was able to calm him. The tramadol pills say 50mg, 2 every 8 hours but i made a mistake and only gave 1 pill. This morning I gave him 2.

At 84 pounds, he's certainly not at the top end of the dosage for a dog his size so if the symptoms persist don't hesitate to talk to your vet about increasing the dosage or adding other medications like gabapentin. You can find more dosing info here: https://www.1800petmeds.com/Tramadol-prod11064.html I would continue to give 2 pills unless you see worsening of symptoms and then increase the dosage and re-address with your vet. There's still a wide range of increase for this medication and adding other medication such as the aforementioned gabapentin remains an option for pain control to make him comfortable.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im not sure he is in pain. We also realized last night that he is completely blind. That may be making him restless and anxious. What do you think about xanax or benadryl?

Whining is a sign of discomfort so I would focus on this if it persists. This is even more suggestive of pain if he's restless and anxious. Xanax can be given but keep in mind that it may induce rest without helping with pain. If he were my own dog, I would address pain medication. Also, if he's gone blind and has not had bloodwork recently, I'd also address this with your vet. Conditions like diabetes can cause blindness and also increased agitation/anxiety, which might explain why you're seeing these symptoms together.

Benadryl can help dogs relax but it can also increase their activity level. If you elect to use it, you may want to do so during the daytime hours to see how he reacts so he doesn't keep you up all night. He can receive 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thank you!

Sure thing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy