Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate my birth control pills. What do I do? Luccio. 9

Customer Question

Hi my dog ate my birth control pills. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luccio. 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luccio?
Customer: None
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. The good news is that most likely she will be fine. Birth control pills have a small amount of hormone in them, and a dogs would have to consume a lot of pills in order to cause problems. I am talking over 100 for a 10 lb dog. It is possible that it may cause some gastrointestinal irritation, but that is all I would expect. If she just ingested these in the last 30 minutes, and you want to play it on the safe side, you can always induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide given orally. 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight is normal dose. That can be repeated once in 10 minutes if there is no vomiting. After 30 minutes, you can probably still get some pills out up to 2 hours post ingestion, but less so than within 30 minutes. If she has any other major gastrointestinal problems, I would have your vet check her out. Otherwise, it should be safe to monitor her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 30 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Luccio is doing and to see if you have any other questions.