Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

His ear is bleeding ..he keeps shaking his head and it looks

Customer Question

His ear is bleeding ..he keeps shaking his head and it looks like it may be a cut from where he was scratching at it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has a flea issue ..i have tried just about everything i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please help me ..the vet wont see him without 80 dollars down and i am a single mom this is my sons best friend
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Is it just the tip of the ear that is bleeding? Do his ears seem waxy or irritated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No its waxy ..like a dark brown/ black

Any which part of his ear is bleeding?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was gone for a 2 weeks dealing with a sick family member and my house sitter told me.that he was itching at it loke crazy and when i tried getting him into the vet ot was 80 dollars ..if its going to keep costing me to talk to u i might as well do that
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Outside corner ..looks like a cut or irritation mark

If you are referring to the phone call request, it is generated automatically, I am happy to carry on here. IF you are unclear as to the costs I can pass you to customer services?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am just trying to get help for my dog ..i am not a wealthy person ..he is my family
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can i do about his ear? Is there a special way to clean it ? Bleeding has stopped

I suspect he may be scratching at the ear due to the irritation from an ear infection. The cut may be secondary to him scratching, but the cause of the scratching (the dark wax) needs to be addressed in order for him to leave the ear alone and allow it to heal.

What you can do at home is to bathe the cut area with a salt water solution. I generally recommend 1 tablespoon of salt to 1 pint of water. Bathe the area twice daily. This should help prevent any infection and allow the cut to heal.

As for the dark wax, you can apply a little olive oil to the ear canal. This is perfectly safe and massaging in the oil can help soften the wax and "milk" the discharge to the surface. The most important step is to wipe away any loosened wax with a cotton ball. If he does not have significant inflammation to the ear canal, this can often be enough to help deal with a mild ear infection.

If you are not seeing a significant improvement over the course of 7 days of doing this, he may benefit from antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication so a vet visit would be necessary in that case.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you