PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He has a massive cluster of warts on his head, Haggis and

he has a massive cluster of warts on his head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Haggis and hes 11 and a half. He has been on prednisolone for about 5 years for allergies
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Haggis?
Customer: he has had a heart murmur since birth! Otherwise he is really healthy but maybe a bit overweight!

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hope this attachment reaches you

It looks like the area is open and bleeding. Has your vet performed any diagnostic care on this area such as an impression smear? Has surgical removal been discussed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I havent been to my own vet yet. Wanted to see what you were saying 1st. We managed to tie it off once but it just grew back twice as bad. Ill probably just pop down the vet!

Hi again, Corina. I think surgical removal is going to be your best bet. Even with the known heart murmur your vet should be able to give a light sedation and remove this area. It should not come back so long as they're warts, but it would be wise given his age to have a histopathology done to ensure this is not a cancerous area. Are you seeing active bleeding at this time or is it just moist and pink?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it is actively bleeding and he tends to scratch quite a bit. He does have smaller warts round his body and on his ears.

Once he's been sedated, your vet should be able to take those off, as well. Warts are very common in aging dogs, so this is quite par for the course in pet ownership of a senior canine. Some dogs develop them, some don't. Once they become large enough they're certainly worth removing so the pet is not agitated by the presence. You can apply regular Neosporin, as well, daily to keep the area soft and help with discomfort. If scratching is a problem, consider using an e-collar around the neck from your vet's office or pet store to prevent this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your time

Certainly.

Hi Corina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy