PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He has somewhat heavy breathing, you can tell he can't get

He has somewhat heavy breathing, you can tell he can't get comfortable where ever he is and may have invested fryhing oil on deck out side. He threw up 3 or 4 times. Slimy and touch of green. He is a bloodhound but not bloated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Only thing I can find is the oil and not a lot but I don't know the amount
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke and 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: No

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you witnessed any diarrhea thus far?

Any blood in the vomit?

Aside from the oil, have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No to all

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has been given 4 children's peptic bismol. I have that on hand.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's a 130lb bloodhound

It's my experience that peptobismol does not work very well in cases where dogs may have ingested oil. Children's pepto is essentially Tums. Do you have any other GI medications on hand?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Immodium

That'll be for lower GI, not upper.

You can continue to give the pepto but if this does not resolve by morning you're either going to need to see your vet or drive to a store that's open and carries GI medications such as Walmart, Walgreens or a gas station open overnight to see if they have medications like Pepcid, Prilosec, etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would omepersol work

Do you mean omeprazole (Prilosec)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

This can be used. He will receive 30-60mg ONCE daily by mouth.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I gave him 40
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I give 60.

40 is sufficient for a dog his size.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still throwing up real slimy and a touch of red

If you're seeing blood, an ER visit would be most ideal overnight. If this is not possible, he needs to see your vet first thing when they open in the morning.

Checking in. How is Duke doing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He need up have pneumonia after he aspirated. And with antibiotics and fluids. Doing good now thanks

Glad to hear it.