Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He has very red itchy paws, cant get in to see the vet until

Customer Question

He has very red itchy paws, cant get in to see the vet until the 25th. Just looking for a dossge for reactine to help give him relief
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bruiser
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruiser?
Customer: He has a history of skin infections, he was on antibiotics in june and his skin cleared up but now his skin is back to being covered in scabs , very itchy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bruiser. Based on a single-blinded (owners), placebo-controlled study, dosing of ceterizine (Reactine) at 1 mg/kg (0.45 mg/lb) orally once daily gave satisfactory control of pruritis (itchiness) in just 18% of dogs evaluated in the study. Anectodal dosing of 1 mg/kg or 10-20 mg/dog orally every 12-24 hours can be found in the literature. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** his paws would an otc cream be beneficial until we get in to see our vet?

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Ouch! He's really done a number on that paw. The skin needs to be skin scraped looking for an underlying demodicosis (mange mite) and a cytology of the skin (microscopic exam of a small sample of the skin surface) performed looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast. Most dogs who excoriate their extremities to that extent are either atopic (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, dust mites, etc.) or food intolerant. An over the counter hydrocortisone cream rubbed into the skin thrice daily should be of value but I do understand that Bruiser is likely to lick off everything you apply! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he has had scrapings done and ben tested for mites and fleas. I beleive it is allergies , we switched our laundry detergent to scent free and bathe him once a week. We have chlorhexadine spray that seems to work okay on his chest , its just these darn paws. I will put hydrocortisone cream on them and see how that helps . Its frustrating that we cant keep it under control when he isnt on antibiotics. Thank you for the dosage aswell , im hoping the antihistamine will help a bit aswell

Thank you for the additional information. Please ask Bruiser's vet about initiating therapy with one of the newer immunomodulary drugs. The new oral immunotherapy using the cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) is likely to revolutionize how we address atopic dogs. Oclacitinib works as well as a steroid without a steroid's adverse effects. The new injectable immunotherapy with the monoclonal antibody IL-31 should also be considered. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.