Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My six pound papilllon had a yellow jacket stuck in her paw

My six pound papilllon had a yellow jacket stuck in her paw stinging her, and she won't walk on that paw and is crying a lot. Should I take her to a vet tonight?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piper, and she's 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper?
Customer: Nope, good health otherwise.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Piper.

Is she currently taking any medication?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, no medications. She's breathing a little heavy and won't put weight on it. She's holding the leg up and its trembling.

Thanks for the answer to my question.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I can just imagine how uncomfortable her foot must be after such an incident. And, these small dogs do tend to react more strongly than larger dogs which could account for her behavior. I do have a few suggestions which may help.

1. I'd soak her foot in a warm Epsom Salt bath for 10-15 minutes; you could repeat this twice a day, if necessary.

2. Since she's not taking any medication, then otc Aspirin can be given at a dose of 1/2-1 low dose (81 mg) tablet twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. The anti-inflammatory as well as anti-pain properties may be of benefit in this situation.

3. If the foot is a little swollen, then otc Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1/4th of a 25 mg tablet twice a day; sedation can be seen as a side effect, though.

If she continues to act uncomfortable, then a vet visit tomorrow may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!!

You're more than welcome.

Best of luck with her, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb