PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a Siberian Husky. She had a scab on her back about a

I have a Siberian Husky. She had a scab on her back about a week or so ago. It was infected. I cleaned it up and have been keeping an eye on it, but now I'm noticing the fur near that spot is falling out and she appears very sensitive to the touch in that area.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the Siberian Husky can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Siberian Husky's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?
Customer: Well, history wise, she had a hereditary form of mange when she was a puppy, but we got that resolved with medication. She also had a period from age 1 - 2 were she had infrequent, but pretty bad seizures. She hasn't had one since age 2. Other than that, not really. OH, and she seems very alert and energetic as usual, but I have notice her breath is worse than normal (smell).

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? Do you know how she sustained the original injury?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know how/when the original infection happened. I was petting her and noticed a lump. Upon further inspection, I noticed the scab and realized there was infection under it. So I cleaned it up. At first it appeared to be getting better, but then she started loosing hair.

Are these two different areas or just one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Basically the same area.

It's quite common for us to see hair loss around an infected wound following infection, even as it appears to be improving. This often happens due to moisture on the skin and also inflammation. There's commonly a 1-2cm perimeter around the scab where fur does fall out after injury. I would continue to treat this appropriately at home with a mild soap wash 1-2x daily and then applying regular Neosporin after it's dry. The fur should begin to come back in within 14 days and she should develop dense fur again in this area within 6-8 weeks. If she does not or this worsens, your vet will need to examine the area and will likely recommend a skin scrape to ensure you're not seeing ectoparasites causing the loss of fur. So far from the pictures shared this appears to be related to the original injury and par for the course in healing.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took her to a vet. She has a bacterial infection and is being treated with antibiotics and anti-inflamitory medication. The infection was even larger then originally thought.

I am glad to hear she's received help.