PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She ate a piece of fabric from a toy. It was a little dress

She ate a piece of fabric from a toy. It was a little dress on the toy, no buttons. So the size of a small sock
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's a 38lb border collie lab mix. She ate a sock before and it came back up after 36 hrs of wet food. I induced vomiting twice with peroxide. She really heaved for awhile the second time so thought it should come up. Induced vomiting within Only 30 minutes after eating it.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She's 6 yrs old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long ago did this ingestion occur?
2) Did you attempt to induce vomiting this time?
3) Are you seeing any GI symptoms such as nausea or vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was about an hour ago. I induced vomiting twice, first time mostly food. Second time she heaved really well for awhile and then just foam and some bile. This was within 30 minutes of J getting, so it should have come up.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She felt nauseous for about ten minutes afterwards. She seems fine now. She swallowed a sock 4 years ago, probably two times the size of this. I fed her very soaked kibble in small portions for three days and it came back up on its own.

If you've induced vomiting twice, you have three choices from here.

1) You can take her to your local ER and allow them to induce vomiting with medication to see if it comes up.
2) You can take the same ER route and allow them to remove the fabric endoscopically, if present.
3) You can feed a higher fiber food for the next few days to see if she will pass it naturally.

If you opt for #3, I would offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the passing of the fabric. If at any point you see fabric hanging from her anus, trim it with scissors and do NOT pull it. Allow it to pass naturally as she has the desire to defecate. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you I'll let you know. I'm going to wait and see and follow the instructions. Thanks

Sure thing! I hope all goes well.