PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 3 year old cocker spaniel, and for some reason he

I have a 3 year old cocker spaniel, and for some reason he keeps eating plants, weeds, sticks, twigs, and just about anything else he can find outside to eat. I have actually removed anything GREEN from my backyard for this very reason. He is a rescue dog that I have had for 2 years and he's probably eating plants at least 4 times and 3 of those I have taken him to the vet. He is also epileptic and takes 60 mb. phenobarbital twice a day.
He has eaten something again and is pretty sick this time. Hasn't eaten anything in 24 hours but I have managed to get the phenobarbital down his throat. Last time I was at the vet when this happened I was told I could give him Pepcid AC regular strength. I did give him 1 tablet earlier today but he is still not eating, very lethargic, uncomfortable, throwing up bile, and disoriented. I am so afraid he's going to have a seizure the way he is acting. Besides taking him to the vet is there anything I can do to help him out? I simply can't afford the vet again, and I am totally beside myself, plus I have 4th stage kidney cancer and I'm not in good health myself....and the stress is not helping me any either. I'm hoping a Veterinarian is out there that can give me some suggestions and/or relief. I have no idea what he ate this time.... Thanks, Lori

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he's still sick, pretty much just lethargic. I did just manage to get a phenobarbital down but he still won't eat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really can't afford any more than what I'm already paying unfortunately, I'm sorry
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have spent over 1,400.00 in the last year on medical on him already.

Hi, Lori. Thanks for your reply, we will continue texting online to minimize cost.

How much does he weigh and how much famotidine was given?

How long after the dosage did the vomiting occur again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, He is slightly overweight, well he is overweight he weighs 55. He takes a total of 120mg per day. He hasn't vomited today, but he has nothing in his stomach to vomit on! He has been drinking a little water here and there. Right now he's sleeping pretty sound from the medication.
I'm so scared he is going to have a seizure.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He vomited at least 4 times yesterday

120mg of famotidine? Or phenobarbital?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
phenobarbital

Thank you for the clarification.

How much famotidine was given when you dosed it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
60 mg. and he hasn't gotten sick since last night, but he has been acting like he could

And how often is the famotidine being given currently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
60 mg. every 12 hours

The dosage of famotidine being given is a little on the high side at 60mg being given every 12 hours. The highest dosage recommended for this medication is 30mg as often as twice daily.

Studies have shown that omeprazole (prilosec) may be more useful than famotidine in addressing nausea. If the famotidine has not helped, I would try a switch to omeprazole. If you choose to use this medication (which is safe to use with the phenobarbital) 30mg can be given but it only needs to be dosed once daily.

With the stress and him feeling unwell, there's no way to prevent a seizure if it's going to happen aside from minimizing his stimulus and providing the medication he's supposed to have. I would wait at least 2 hours following the omeprazole to try giving fluid (start with water and work your way up to a fluid-based food like pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel). Once he is holding both fluid and baby food down for 6 hours, try some boiled rice and chicken.

To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. You can mix in the baby food if needed to entice him. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, will do....just wish I knew why he has such a desire to eat any and every plant he comes in contact with. I know some of them are so poisonous and not knowing for sure what it is he ate makes it even more scary. He is sleeping well at this time from the phenobarbital, and I having been able to get any pepcid AC down him today. He completely fights me taking any pills now, clamps his teeth shut and I literally have to pry it open and stick it down his throat. I feel so bad for him, truly I do. He is the love of my life....and seeing him go through this a lot is killing me and I know he feels my stress, but it's hard not to show it. Thanks for helping. Hopefully he comes out of it soon :) I'm heartbroken. Have a great day. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess having 4th stage cancer probably doesn't help me either. But I've learned to deal with it.

I imagine this is a great deal of stress on you both and hopefully the omeprazole helps to get him back to feeling well. I would highly consider leash walks outside so that he doesn't put anything in his mouth that you don't see go in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay...I will try to do that. I can't be in the heat or the sun, but I can walk him a little at night. It sucks having cancer, and being restricted to so much. I would rather be sick than him though that's for sure...he's my best friend :)

I'm glad you both have each other. He sounds like a stellar companion.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not real smart.....but he is the most loyal dog I've ever had. Thanks again

Haha. I've got one of those, too. The ones who aren't too bright are usually the ones with the best heart :)

You're very welcome.