Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She ate 4 lbs of raw hamburger plus a lb of ham, Boo and she

Customer Question
She ate 4 lbs of...
She ate 4 lbs of raw hamburger plus a lb of ham
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boo and she is a 14 y old beagle
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Just curious as to what to do
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
She looks and acts miserable...is she gonna be ok?
I have asked questions before about this dog. She had eaten donut holes before (long time ago)
9/10/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

That is a lot of meat for a beagle to eat. When a dog overeats, you need to watch for bloat. Large chested breeds are prone to this condition. At this point, it is probably just that she over ate. You want to keep her calm and inactive as possible to help prevent bloat (stomach twisting). With over eating, I would keep an eye on her for bloat. Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on. If you believe your dog has bloat they should be seen immediately.

Simethicone products like gas-x may help while you take her into the vet if she should start displaying symptoms of bloat. You can read more on bloat here.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

I would limit water intake and activity to reduce the chance of bloating. Be sure to walk her on a leash so she isn't running around. I would not give her additional food until tomorrow and then keep her on a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice for a day or so. There isn't anything you can do to "push" the food through. All you can do is minimize the chance that the overeating causing a problem. She should be fine, just keep her from moving around too much.

Now with a pound of the meat being ham which is pretty fatty in nature, she might develop pancreatitis. Hopefully the hamburger was low fat. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated

You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If she develops any symptoms of pancreatitis, have her seen immediately as that is considered an emergency as well.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

.

Hi Bernie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 month ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.