Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We accidentally gave our 8 lb Pomeranian 25mg of Benadryl

Customer Question

We accidentally gave our 8 lb Pomeranian 25mg of Benadryl for her panics from the hurricane. Will that hurt her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** she is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Panda?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's been having sever panics and anxiety w the hurricane and I though it was 10mg but it was 25. Just want to make sure she will be ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I need to make her throw up?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much

Please accept the phone call request and I will be glad to call you back at once.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you able to answer here? I just didn't realize it would be more money.... I'm sorry.

No problem, glad to type out a reply, just starting it now.

Please stand by ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The top dose for Benadryl in the dog is 2 mg per pound of bodyweight, this of course means 16 mg in Panda's case, so 25 mg is a clear overdose. However my experience with Benadryl is that it has a high margin of safety in the dog so I would doubt if this is a serious situation for your dog today, all you might usually expect to see is some degree of extra lethargy over the next 6 to 8 hours but then your dog should return to normal.

2. But an overdose is an overdose so if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Panda's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Panda is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Benadryl overdose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott