Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have metforman I just want to know how much of a dose I…

Customer Question
I have metforman I...

I have metforman I just want to know how much of a dose I should give him to be safe and should I exspect immediate results/

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He has been diag. with insulinoma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He has no power he can't stand on his rear feet

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Bossman 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bossman

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/9/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Metformin is inactive in dogs and wouldn't be a drug to consider in any event. Insulinomas cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and if metformin were affective in dogs it would lower the blood sugar - just what you wouldn't want to happen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

are you there?

Yes, did you see my reply timestamped 2:41 PM (my time)?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I will wait for you.

Please see my reply timestamped 2:41 PM (my time). If you can't see it here it is again: "Metformin is inactive in dogs and wouldn't be a drug to consider in any event. Insulinomas cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and if metformin were effective in dogs it would lower the blood sugar - just what you wouldn't want to happen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish."

thank you that makes perfect since to me . I have type 2 diabeties and thought it might help to maintain his level as it does mine.

You're quite welcome. No, he has the opposite problem that you do. You worry about your blood sugar being too high. We worry about his blood sugar being too low. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

thank you very much (I am an appliance tech. and I used to work for just answer you are very professional at to the point . what do we do to keep his sugar up?
are you there? hello?

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind words. These dogs are treated by feeding 4-6 small meals/day of a diet high in protein, fat, and complex carbohydrates - a puppy food, e.g. Simple sugars, often found in semi-moist pet foods should be avoided. Limit exercise. When frequent feedings no longer control signs, prednisone can be added. When frequent feedings and prednisone not longer control the signs, diazoxide can be added to the treatment regimen. Regretfully, this drug is expensive and not readily available. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

what is the cost of diazoxide do we get it from our vet? how do I draw blood to check level of sugar?

Regretfully, I don't know what you'd be charged for that drug or if it's even available at this time. I don't see it in my formulary. Your vet can ask his drug suppliers if it's available and you can call your local pharmacy and see if it's available through a human pharmacy.

You'll need a glucometer calibrated for canine blood which can be ordered for you by your vet. A vet tech then shows you how to obtain blood from your dog. You can also look for YouTube videos on how that's done such as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-HoadHq4CM

I have to leave my computer for 20 minutes. I'll reply as soon as I return if need be.