Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog may have ingested a tiny bit of borax from an ant

Customer Question

My dog may have ingested a tiny bit of borax from an ant trap. He is 90 lbs amd i think he might have only swallowed a tiny amount
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jace?
Customer: He was neutered 2 weeks ago. Not sure if that will make a difference
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Don't give it a second thought. There isn't enough of any insecticide in ant traps to intoxicate even the smallest dog. Borax (borates, boric acid) is considered of very low toxicity to dogs in any event. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Jace is great. Wasn't even phased. Thank you for following up!

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.