Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is a springer she's got bite marks on her hind legs…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a springer she's got bite marks on her hind legs and now they are balding I've treated for fleas both tablets and drops I've bathed her last weekend and this weekend I've clipped her and changed her bedding and been applying stinky stuff is there anything else I can try

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Freya and she's 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freya?

No normal healthy active dog

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/9/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that your sweet Freya is not feeling well. It appears that she is suffering from allergies and this could be anything that she is coming into contact with.

For now , follow these instructions:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta