Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has some sort of rash or rug burn on his scrotum

Customer Question
skin. And I've noticed some...
My dog has some sort of rash or rug burn on his scrotum skin. And I've noticed some bright red blood on his stuffed animal that he likes to hump on. For the past few days he's been constantly licking his private parts. Do you have an idea of what this all could be??
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
9/9/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Has he been passing urine more often or straining?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Hello again,

Now based on this lesion, it appears he has caused himself a moist bacterial dermatitis. Though if he has been licking the area more as well as passing urine more often we'd be suspicious that this skin infection is a side effect of a bigger issue. Specifically, we can see all of this with bladder infections, urine crystal issues, bladder stones, and sometimes with bladder tumors (less likely for Oscar at his age).

With this in mind, we'd want to have him and a urine sample checked as soon as his vet is open. That way we can make sure we nip any of the above in the bud to avoid long term issues. Otherwise, for his skin here, we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this. That way we can get this healing and then once addressing the urinary signs we'd hope to settle this all down for Oscar.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian