Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was up this morning very lethargic and drenched in…

Customer Question
My dog was up...

My dog was up this morning very lethargic and drenched in saliva. We took her to the vet and she showed signs of infection due to her high white blood cell count. The vet said that the drooling is from nausea. They have her a shot for nausea and sent us home with pills for nausea and amoxicillin for infection. I recently found some rat droppings around the house, now I'm afraid that a rat has something to do with my dog. She is currently still acting weak and salivating excessively.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, just wondering if the amoxicillin that we were given will work or if I need to get her into the vet now? It's night time now so it will be emergency on call vet that will have to come in. Is this something harmful that needs to be taken care of now?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/9/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is she the kind of dog to fight with or eat a rat?

Are there any sores or wounds in her mouth?

Any poisons put down for the rat?

How is she now?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can she eat?

Any change to her breathing?