Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Second opinion] I have a male sheltie. He seems to have a

Customer Question

Second opinion] I have a male sheltie. He seems to have a recurring injury (problem) with his left front leg. My vet has investigated it twice. the second time two days ago when he showed a limp. We took an x-ray of both legs (top view of the legs extended forward showing the paws and the leg up to the "elbow" there did not appear to be any abnormality in the bone structure. He does not seem to have any tenderness in any of the joints when manipulated, but he does limp on his own. There did not seem to be any inflammation this past vet visit , but an earlier visit in June ther was some slight swelling in the "knee" joint.JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?Customer: I have a male sheltie. He seems to have a recurring injury (problem) with his left front leg. My vet has investigated it twice. the second time two days ago when he showed a limp. We took an x-ray of both legs (top view of the legs extended forward showing the paws and the leg up to the "elbow" there did not appear to be any abnormality in the bone structure. He does not seem to have any tenderness in any of the joints when manipulated, but he does limp on his own. There did not seem to be any inflammation this past vet visit , but an earlier visit in June there was some slight swelling in the "knee" joint.JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?Customer: yes are you not getting my messagesJA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?Customer: There does not appear to be a wound, but he has pink pads and is pretty regular about licking them. We are looking into allergiesJA: What is the's name?Customer: His name is***** is a 2 1/2 year old male sheltieJA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?Customer: He is pretty big wighing about 35 lbs, the vet thinks he should be between 30 and 32 lbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Amber Hinson replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am Dr. Hinson and I would like to try and help you.

Has Buddy been on any medications for the limping? If so, have they helped?

Is the limping intermittent or constant?

When you say "knee" joint I am not sure what you are referring to as we use that term for a hind leg, not a front leg. So are you talking about the "wrist"?

Have you been resting him so he doesn't over-use the leg?