Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Can dogs take morphine? The vet gave one of my dogs

Customer Question

Can dogs take morphine? The vet gave one of my dogs something that sounded like it had morphine in it for pain, when she was mauled. I have a pit that is 13 and suffering with hip pain. With the hurricane I can't get to a vet and we are going to have to evacuate. This is going to be a very painful trip for him. I take morphine for a nerve condition I have and wanted to know if I could give him half of a 15mg ir morphine suffer tablet if he got real bad?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I might dose a dog with immediate-release morphine at 0.5 mg per pound of body weight every 4-6 hours. At usual doses, the primary concern with morphine is the effect that opioids have on respiratory function. Decreased tidal volume, depressed cough reflex, and the drying of respiratory secretions may all have a detrimental effect on a susceptible patient. Gastrointestinal effects may include nausea, vomiting, and decreased intestinal peristalsis. Dogs may defecate after an initial dose of morphine. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am hoping to only give him one dose before transporting, how far in advance do you recommend giving it to him? He will be in the truck for about an hour

Although rapidly absorbed, bioavailability through the oral route is poor (less than 20% in dogs). That may be a plus in such an elderly dog, however, as that increases the safety margin. I would give it an hour prior to its desired effect. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** all I needed.

You're quite welcome. Stay safe!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Je Suis Fou Chein. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
far so good, he handled the trip okay, still in some pain but the morphine seemed to help. Thank you so much!!

Good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.