Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 3-4 yr old male pit, (red nose colby), has cauliflower

Customer Question

My 3-4 yr old male pit, (red nose colby), has cauliflower ear bi-lat. We got him as an adult. He already had this problem. They are painful, with more than a lite touch. He shakes his head a lot, and has drainage at times. He always jerks away, when trying to clean the out ear with q-tips between the ridges. How can I clean/take care of them?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....first off it is important to know that this condition does not just happen...there is always an underlying cause for this....FOOD ALLERGY.....get your dog on a prescription hypoallergenic diet asap....my favorite is science diet DD venison and potato....you can try natural balance sweet potato and venison as it might work....but no other foods, bones or treats can be fed and a trial must be 16 weeks long. In the meantime I would get your vet to see your dog and get your dog on apoquel and also treat what is likley a severe ear infection......you will not be able to clean your dogs ears until all of this is done but the pain will not go away until then....I hope that makes sense.....I hope this helps you but let me know if you have additional questions as I would be happy to answer any followup questions...Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** info on Nanook's allergies, and Petey's earsa What about my original question, about Nanook's paw sticker problem? I'm very concerned because she's still not putting any weight on it?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

sorry, let me recheck your history....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I don't see about the paw in the history. Would you mind telling me about that again so I can address that for you.....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was the main subject, of my first question. I'll try to copy and paste it. As it was a lengthy one.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

thank you very much...that question not showing up with this one.....sorry...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

did you find it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry had to run an errand. Was out when I got your response almost back home. Then can find it.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

no problem.....sorry it did not come up with this question....if you ask two separate questions they don't come up together.....hope that makes sense....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you copy and past the rest I will get back to you on it this weekend....I have to retire for the night for now....I will check back with you tomorrow...DRB