Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

As my dog walks she rubs her entire body along the wall.

JA: I'm sorry to hear...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound, she just slides her body along the wall
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nala she's 11 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?
Customer: No ma'am
9/8/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing any scratching?

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Is she on any medication at this time, including flea/tick prevention? If so, what and when was it last dosed?

No scratching, I can't right now because she's sleep but I can get it later. She is using NexGard for flea and tick control
Oh and the date she had it was the 26th of August.

I'll keep an eye out for video.

I can't add the video

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If it fails to load, the files are likely too large. You can also use websites like Imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If this does not work and you’d prefer to text them directly to my cell phone, let me know. There is an additional charge for this, but it can make the job of sending pictures or video much more simple. Just let me know what works for you. I’ll be standing by.

https://youtu.be/1SsBisJiAYc

This appears to simply be her enjoying the sensation, particularly toward the end of the video where she raises her chin up into the wall. Is she a dog who is confident while running and playing in the middle of the room or open space, as well, or does she tend to pin herself against walls, fences, etc.?

No she plays confidently in the middle of every room. This just started and she does it all the way around the room, even the fireplace.

This may be due to affinity for the sensation or she may be itchy. If you're seeing her scratching, this would indicate itching. If she's playing well in the middle of every room this is a strong indicator that she is not rubbing against the walls since she cannot see. When animals lose visual acuity, it's common for them to lean against vertical surfaces as a safety measure and to increase their confidence. I don't think this is happening in your puppy's case since she's playing well.

If this persists, consider giving her a few days of Benadryl to see if this may be due to itching and also keep an eye out for fleas. If she's not on a flea prevention, she should be started for good measure. Of the Benadryl, she can take 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. It may take 5-7 days of routine dosing to see the benefit if this is due to itching. Otherwise, I would consider it behavioral and she will likely grow out of it as she ages.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy

Checking in. How is your companion today?

She is great thank you. She hasn't rubbed against anything since so I'm not sure what that was all about. Thank you for your help.

Sure thing.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse