Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She has an eye allergy. A vet recommended I can use

Customer Question

She has an eye allergy. A vet recommended I can use Visine-A. Is this true??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie, she's 3.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thank you

The reason that that product shouldn't be recommended is that it contains the decongestant naphazolin which can dry the eye and by "taking the red out" mask what could be a dangerous eye condition. A better choice of an antihistamine product for dogs is over the counter Zaditor which contains the antihistamine ketotifen but no decongestant. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.