Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 8 lb Chihuahua ate xylitol gum. At least 1 piece. Not…

Customer Question
My 8 lb Chihuahua...

My 8 lb Chihuahua ate xylitol gum. At least 1 piece. Not sure if more

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Montego and he is 2. It was orbit gum

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Montego?

We've only had him 3 months. He was a rescue dog. We don't know much about him.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/7/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

What flavor Orbit was it?

How is he just now?

10 minutes
He seems ok right now, maybe 10 minutes ago not sure of the flavor
What should i do?

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care; especially as xylitol can cause blood sugar crashes and damage the liver quite quickly. Now the reason I asked about flavour is because the Orbit gums vary in their xylitol levels. But if we don't know which it was and how much he actually had, we have to err on the side of caution and we only have 20minutes to get on top of this

Given our time frame, we can induce vomiting now. To do that at home for Montego, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, if you think he had more than one piece, then we’d want to act fast here. So, the above would be our points of call for Montego. Any struggles and we’d want to plan to have his local vet see him right away to carry out the above +/- give IV fluids to protect his liver and get him through this unharmed.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

It worked. He vomited 4 times. Hopefully its all out of hus system. Thank you!! How long do we wait to feed hi something?

Hello again,

My apologies, I was called away to see an emergency with one of my own patients when we last spoke (thankfully I was able to get her safely through it).

Since you did get him to clear his stomach, we'd assume that we won't see adverse signs and as I am sure you found, you were able to feed a few hours after the peroxide wore off.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.