Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

5 yr old male bichon .. vet diagnosed food allergy and cold

last week .. switched to...
5 yr old male bichon .. vet diagnosed food allergy and cold last week .. switched to hypoallergenic dog food and has been taking antiobiotic pills .. now he is having shaking episodes, rapid breathingéheartrate for about 10 mins .. then back to normal .. any ideas whats going onÉ
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: spot
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spot?
Customer: no
9/7/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?
2) Was the food transition done over a period of 7-10 days or less? If less, how many days did this take?
3) Is he still eating well?
4) Is he still active and energetic?
5) Any history of illness or injury aside from what is mentioned, such as history of GI upset, spinal pain, etc?

Hi PRM,
1) No, no vomiting or diarrhea
2) the food was transitioned over 3 days 70/30 old/new, 50/50, 30/70 and now all new
3) he is eating and drinking normally, actually eating more than before with a hearty appetite, normal stools
4) yes, he is active and energetic except for the shaking "episodes" when the usual happy glint in his eyes goes dull which last 10 - 20 minutes
5) no illness or injuries, he is usually very healthy though he does occasionally have GI upsets that last a couple days then resolve (loud gurgling GI noises, loose stools but not diarrhea)
after bathing him last week we noticed his skin was covered in red dots, and guessed it was an allergy so went to the vet and he diagnosed it as that - administered 3 injections to treat the allergic reaction over 3 days and prescribed antibiotics (tablets) for a suspected mild cold
the red dots have disappeared from his skin, but these 10 - 20 minute "shaking" spells have started where he stands and shakes with a panting breath and a faster than usual heartrate .. then it passes and he is his normal self againWe returned to his usual vet, temperature is normal, no signs of any sickness - the vet says he doesn't know what is causing the shaking episodes - has told us to stop administering the antibiotics and observe his behaviour the next couple days
if the shaking spells continue he intends to do a blood workup in a few days - any thoughts ?

When you mention the GI upsets, is this in the past or currently?

Do you know what shots were given for the skin dots?

Were any diagnostics done at the time outside of the recommended bloodwork, such as x-rays?

The GI upsets are periodic .. every few months he'll have a few off days, so we feed him rice+chicken till his stools are normal again and he's fine for several monthsUnfortunately i don't know the meds that were injected - my gf is the one who took him to the vet and didn't get the name of the meds used but she says the vet said "its for the allergic reaction"No diagnostics other than an exam, palpating for tenderness - negative; and taking temperature - normal; heartrate - elevated (but he is always agitated at the vets) - no x-rays

Do they happen to be noted on the receipt?

i will have to check with my gf but i suspect no

That would be the first thing I would look for. You can also call your vet (if they're open) and ask what was given. Very commonly allergic reactions are treated with antihistamines and a steroid shot. Steroids are known to cause shaking, panting, pacing and similar "agitated" symptoms. As well, we can see dogs in discomfort who experience the same symptoms. Also worth mentioning is the fact that your companion seems to have a history of GI sensitivity and the switch of foods over 3 days may not be enough to avoid a GI upset and these may be the first symptoms. We typically recommend switching over 7-10 days and no less (I recommend a 10% switch daily over 10 days which seldom, if ever, results in nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, discomfort, etc). At this point, it will be quite difficult to pinpoint the exact cause as these symptoms may be linked to so many different concerns but my first concern would be a potential steroid injection causing the symptoms and then the potential for a GI upset to be causing the symptoms. An examination may help your vet to determine where the symptoms have originated and how to best treat. If you do see the development of additional symptoms in the time needed to check with your GF, please let me know and I will guide you further.

Ok, thanks

Sure thing.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hi again,
I've uploaded 2 small videos recorded yesterday. Both were recorded during 1 of the tremor/shaking/fast-breathing episodes. When the episode occurred he had been laying on the bed for a while, had not been running around or playing for at least 10 minutes. His vet has also seen the vids and comments that he has no idea what may be causing this. He's eating well, normal stools, happy and playful. All meds have been discontinued fo the past day and episodes are still occurring though they *seem* to be less frequent and shorter. (or it may just be wishful thinking on our part - its hard to say)

The videos both came through but neither of them are in a format I can view, unfortunately.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse