Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He is screaming and trying to bite his tail!! I know it's…

Customer Question
He is screaming and...

He is screaming and trying to bite his tail!! I know it's not fleas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Versace age 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Versace?

He is 11 lbs and a house dog

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
9/7/2017
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has this been going on with Versace?

Do you ever notice him scooting his butt on the ground?

Is he urinating/defecating normally?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been going on for 2 days!! Yes he is scooting on the ground and urinating in the house( unusual)

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Sounds to me like Versace is having a problem with his anal glands.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.

There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats .

As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.

Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm .

Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa