Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Both eyes are showing the third eye, Ringo and he is around…

Customer Question
Both eyes are showing...

Both eyes are showing the third eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ringo and he is around 10 years old

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog
9/7/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 11 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Are his eyes also red or bloodshot?

Any discharge from the eyes?

Any nasal congestion or discharge?

Any coughting or itchiness?

There is discharge from both eyes.
No coughing. He has rubbed his nose with his paw occasionally. He did not look this way at 8 am this morning.
I noticed no nasal congestion.
His eyes didn't look bloodshot but severely foggy as if his eyes had sunken somewhat
His left eye is completely shut and has drainage. He only looks out of his right eye. I just walked him and his body appears fine. He walked at a good pace and urinated a few times

Hi again. I had already retired last night as it was past midnight here. The foggy condition you describe is cloudiness and often associated with several eye disorders one is corneal ulceration with often leads to the third eyelid coming up to cover the eye to allow the eye to heal more naturally. A corneal ulceration can occur as the result of eyelashes rubbing the eye or allergies leading to a dog trying to scratch the eyes which happens especially with environmental allergies like grass and pollens. Conjunctivitis can also lead to these symptoms but the eyes are usually bloodshot. Let me go over conjunctivitis and then some other conditions.

You can clean the pus off your dog's eye with a warm washcloth. You can also flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use. Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems. This can frequently be purchased over the counter at feed stores such as tractor supply. You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=251

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea.

This site goes over many eye conditions.

http://www.acvo.org/new/public/common_diseases/common_diseases.shtml

Cloudiness of the eye can indicate a few different conditions. Your dog may have glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjunctivitis (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensitivity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here;

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/glaucoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/anterior-uveitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/corneal-ulceration-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read up on Cataracts here:

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular%20disorders/cataracts.htm

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cataracts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cloudy-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

As you have seen, this could be an emergency situation depending on the severity of the condition. However, some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. Cholesterol or triglyceride deposits can also cause cloudiness as well. With the other symptoms your dog is experiencing this would not be normal clouding of the eye. I would have my dog seen as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the eye.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .