PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My mom's dog got sick this past Sunday. She threw up a

My mom's dog got sick this past Sunday. She threw up a couple of times early in the morning when she went out to do her business. Well she felt bad all day and night. She threw up liquid many times during this time. We took to the vet Monday morning. She was moving just breathing hard. Vet said sugar was low, she was dehydrated and kidneys were failing. We left her there and before we could get home she died. What do you think could have happened.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of. BUT my dad thinks she ate a paper towel the night before. Could that have caused her death.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly, 8 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: I guess not except she was at the vets office the week before for her annual checkup and shots and she was just fine.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed of dog was Molly?
2) Had she had any bloodwork prior to this?
3) Had there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?
4) Was she still eating and drinking despite vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Molly is a ***** *****. No new food or treats. She did not eat while sick. Maybe drank a little water but we are sure now that she ate half of a paper towel. She threw some of it up on Sunday morning.

Paper towels can certainly cause a GI upset and if she was already suffering from mild kidney compromise the vomiting may have pushed her in to complete kidney failure. It's also possible that her kidneys may have been failing and the vomiting occurred secondarily. If Molly's body is still available, your vet can perform a necropsy to be sure that a gastric blockage was not part of the reason that Molly passed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your information to this situation.

You're welcome.