Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I just got a new dog from the shelter owner turned her in 75

I just got a new dog from the shelter owner turned her in 75 lb German Shepherd ever since I brought her home when she eats she throws it back up I thought she was eating it too fast so I gave her little bit at a time and she did well for a day she and then she started l throws it up I heard if your dog food sits out in the sun or in a hot area it can rott the oil in the dog food and causes that to vomit I leave my dog food in the garage that gets very hot so I'm thinking it might be that because I have another dog who's now starting to vomit after eating as well I want to change the food and start with new food so should I give it rice and chicken for a day or two and then start her back on the new food to let her stomach calm down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not that I know
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roco about 3yrs old the shelter says
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No he acts normal and has no problems drinking water only after the dog food

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Roco. Is he a normal healthy weight, or is he too thin?

When he vomits the food, does he heave and make noises and bring up the food with an effort? Or is there no sound, no motions, no heaving, just opening his mouth and the food pouring back out?

Trying a diet change is probably a good idea if both dogs are vomiting. What are you feeding them now? If your food is a high fat diet, I would look for one with lower fat ( many of the grain free diets are high in fat). A few days of boiled rice and chicken is a good idea for a few days. If Roco keeps the chicken/rice diet down, then I would look for a different food to try.

If the vomiting continues, there are many things it could be: inflammatory bowel disease, megaesophagus, liver disease, pancreatic disease. If she is thin, or losing weight, she may have an illness and it might not be the food.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

He looks like normal weight and when he vomits he does make noise and stuff like that like normal people would vomiting I'm feeding him natural recipe and say no corn no grain dog food high in protein

If he makes noise, he is vomiting (not regurgitating) and that is good to know.

No grain dog food is often too high in fat. Healthy grains are full of nutrition, and veterinary nutrition specialists do not know where this "grain free fad" came from. Dogs often do not need as high protein and high fat as some of these foods have.

You could try a "GI" diet from your veterinarian, made to reduce vomiting and to be highly digestible.

Thanks for the great rating!