Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog has not eaten since last night, does not want any

My dog has not eaten since last night, does not want any water either. He is obviously not feeling well and is shivering. He has diarrhea now and was vomiting (no food) this morning. He ate a little grass this morning twice (i let him( and he vomited that up. No longer wants to eat grass. His stomach is not hard or distended. I can get him to the vet tomorrow but is this an emergency now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leo, he's about 14 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: Not sure. He has all his shots, has no chronic illnesses, normally is very active.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Does Leo eat any non food items such as rawhides, bones, toys, clothing etc?

Does he eat any human food and if so what?

Could he have gotten into the garbage or a toxin?

What color are his gums?

If you press and release a finger on his gums, the area will blanch, how long in seconds does it take to go back to the color they are now?

Is he drinking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No non-food items as far as I know. We have little kids so ??
No human food
No garbage or toxins, he never runs free.
His gums are light pink, lighter than normal.
It took about 3 seconds for the color to return.
He will not drink, even with a little soup broth in the water.

Thank you. I would get him in to see the Vet tonight. Anything that takes under one second or over two seconds to return to color means the dog is pretty sick. that in conjunction with the gums being lighter than normal is worrisome. Better safe than sorry.

Puppies can get into so much and because children are not always thinking ahead or even know what might be dangerous , the pup may have eaten something from them that it should not have, even if it was something dropped and found under a bed or something.

Here is information on taking vital signs and when to know if there is an emergency.

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! I have never done this whole "on-line" vet but it is gratifying to have someone help out. Is there any reason you can think of that would cause my dog to go into shock? That's what I think of when I hear light gums and poor blood return. Is this a sign of low blood pressure?

something the dog ate would be likely, but they can also go into shock from severe fluid loss such as from vomiting and diarrhea .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. The site you sent me to is very helpful. I will take all vitals now.
Then look for an after-hours vet.

I wish you the best. Please come back and let me know how you made out with him.