Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have alittle 17 year old dog that has been treated over

past few months for pulmonary...
We have alittle 17 year old dog that has been treated over past few months for pulmonary disease. She has rapid breathing and her tongue is purple. We know it is just a matter of time . We really do not want to stress her by dragging her into the office. She has been there alot. I take very good care of my dogs. My vet bills totaled $3500 over the last few months. Wish there was something I could just give her. I have a breathing treatment machine that I use albuterol in and am thinking of giving her a breathing treatment.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maggie, a little pom/poodle mix looks like Benji
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: Is it time to see she is not suffering. If her oxygen is low and the fluid on her lungs is she feeling like she drowning
We know it is probably her time to go and she just gets so scared at vets . I would just rather keep her home and my husband do it but we want to make dure it is her right time. She has been a faithful companion for us all 17 yrs.
Did I miss you while I was typing?
8/22/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I just came online and saw your question. I am so sorry to hear Maggie is having trouble breathing.

Albuterol is not likely to help if she has fluid in her lungs. It helps with asthma, but will not help get fluid out of her lungs. If you can administer home oxygen, that will probably be more helpful than albuterol.

Is she getting medication such as Lasix or Spironolactone, to try to reduce fluid in her lungs?

If there is fluid in her lungs, and her oxygen is low, she may feel like she is drowning.

Is she eating? If she is suffering, she may stop eating.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer, and if this is helpful.

She eats and drinks water but is weak to stand. She is on a medicine that reduces the fluid in her lungs. She ate alittle bacon this morning. The vet gave her a med like ativan to calm her and tramadol for pain. I have given her all of those with her prednisone. I just don't want her to suffer. I know we are losing her. We want yo repay her for all her loyalty and love by being kind and knowing when her suffering needs to stop. She is suffering isn't she. I would hate to feel as if I was drowning.
My phone is over at my daughters

If she is eating, then I would not be ready to end her suffering. If she stops eating, she is suffering, and would be a sign to consider euthanasia. If her gums are purple, if she has to pant or open her mouth just to breathe, she is suffering.

What is the medicine she takes?

She takes a dieretic and prednisone.....prescribed her a relaxant he said was like ativan Incan give her to relax her and tramadol for pain
Prednisone is 2.5 a day...

Why does she take prednisone? That can do the opposite of a diuretic and cause fluid buildup (if it is a high dose or given over a long time). How much does she weigh?

She weighs 12 lbs
I understood it was for her lungs
He had us cut it down by half and within two days she was like this . He said to bring it back up and it did seem to help when given to stop the rapid panting . But her tongue is purple I notice

If she has autoimmune or inflammatory lung disease, that make sense. Do you have a diagnosis? What actual lung disease she has?

If her tongue is purple, she is not getting enough oxygen and home oxygen therapy might help.

2.5 mg once daily is not likely to cause fluid in her lungs, but you might ask about reducing it to every other day.

She has an enlarged heart and fluid on her lungs
We were told her enlarged heart is causing fluid build up.
Guess what I am asking is there anything we can do to keep her comfortable besides angle her mattress? I am keeping pain meds and ativan type med in her. I don't know where we could get oxygen for her. I really would like to keep her medicated and as comfortable as possible. Is there a chance she will just go peacefully or is she in for alot of pain in passing ahead of her?
Are you there?

If she has an enlarged heart, she may have fluids in her lung from "CHF", congestive heart failure. Drugs like pimobendan, spironolactone, and enalapril could be helpful.

Sadly, if she passes from fluid in her lungs/CHF, she would literally drown to death. It might not be peaceful.

She takes enalapril

It might help to add pimobendan (Vetmedin) and also spironolactone.

I was wrong before she takes 12.5 of prednisone a day and the anapril (sp?) Twice a day

12.5 mg is a high dose for a dog her size. I might consider gradually reducing that dose.

Do I get that from my vet in town. You cannot prescribe?

I am here for all your questions, but since I can't see and examine her, it is illegal for me to prescribe. I have to have a patient/client relationship with you and with her to prescribe which means seeing and examining her within the last year or less.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Ok... I thank you for your time. You have been very helpful.
You have made us aware where she is at in her pain and suffering level. Sadly, I think the only kind thing to do is to let her go in peace. She deserves that. You have been very kind.

Thanks for the great rating. I know you will do what is best for her.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian