PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

In the past two days he has had 3 spells of unexplained or

In the past two days he has had 3 spells of unexplained or un correlated events to his rigidity while standing, lifts his front right paw and has this gaze look. Once I pick him up he starts to shake like he does when scared and his little heart starts to beat fast! He then slows down by panting. It last no more than 30'seconds the most. At first I thought it was a drop of blood sugar so the first two times it happened like 6 hours apart from each event, I gave him a high caloric paste I had that has corn syrup in it and coincidence or not he stopped with his shaking and rigid demeanor. I took him in to the vet and he is positive it's not hypoglycemia but maybe a sharp pain reaction as both times he came running down the stairs. About an hour ago, this happened while he was sleeping and woke up whimping and yelping which woke me up. I don't see him seize to say, but again he did the same thing and lift his paw and looses his balance. I have a beagle who's had grand mal seizures since she was 8 weeks old, so I know a seizure presentation by experience, but his episodes have been so quick and very spontaneous. I'm perplexed and very worried as the vet didn't run any testing on him but his assessment and told me to keep an eye and to being hkm
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?
Customer: him back if the problem persist. My dog is a small Maltese/Yorker/Shitzu breed and he is 9 years old.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you happen to have any video of the episodes?

How often do they occur and how many of the episodes have happened?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the last 48 hours he has 4 that I have observed. 3/4 he was with me, and one with my mom on Sunday 6-7 hours after he had two prior ones with me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No they happen so fast, lady less than 30 seconds. My first reaction is to pick him up and console him.

If you can record a video in the days to come, this would be quite useful. I am concerned that you may be witnessing a focal seizure which does not characteristically look like grand mal seizures at all. We can see staring off into space, staggering, repeated motions such as biting or licking, etc. In such a case, bloodwork would be indicated to determine if there was an underlying cause for the episodes. I would begin recording the date, time, duration and description of each of these from this point forward. If your vet agrees that this might be seizure activity, even focal seizures, anti-convulsant therapy may be needed in the future and having a determination on how often the espies are occurring will be very important.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have a small clip on how he responds after it happens, which is still lifting his Left not right paw and yeah the recovering his balance. How can I send this to you?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If it fails to load, the files are likely too large. You can also use websites like Imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If this does not work and you’d prefer to text them directly to my cell phone, let me know. There is an additional charge for this, but it can make the job of sending pictures or video much more simple. Just let me know what works for you. I’ll be standing by.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This site is not giving options to attach files, this is is really upsetting and a waste of time. I tried going to Imgur.com and will only alllow me to attach a live video clip but not one that I have saved. Where is that option to attach the video clip in here? Is it because I am using my phone that I don't see it?

It should be near the button you click to respond. It may be due to your phone, yes, that you're unable to see it. Using a computer may be needed.

JACustomer, if you're still working on loading the video please let me know. I will be stepping away from the computer shortly otherwise.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ended up taking him to the ER, thanks for your help.