Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

About an hour or so I noticed my dog with more drool than

normal. I've been cleaning...
About an hour or so I noticed my dog with more drool than normal. I've been cleaning the kitchen and when I was ready for bed I looked for her. She is outside laying down still drooling and is lethargic and I noticed several piles of vomit in my back yard. None of this is normal for my 9 month old pit bull mix
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your pit?
Customer: She eats everything. Puppy with no manners eat shoes hangers and cardboard or anything she can. Also has bad habit of feeding her scraps
8/22/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any recent changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

We had some company tonight. She had lots of rough play with her big brothers. I.e. 11 and 21 year old boys. She does eat human food mixed with her dry food and tonight she had more than normal probably because I don't know what they might have given her. She eats everything from cardboard to I just found a pen outside and shoes hangers etc. some of this is normal. The drooling and her inactivity is not
She had boiled chicken breast and some salmon today with some green beans. We also found a garden snake last week in our garage but haven't seen it since. She was still normal and hyper till midnight

Human food and household items like the pen, shoes, hangers etc. can cause a severe gastric upset and predispose her to gastric foreign bodies which may result in surgery being necessary to remove things she previously consumed.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

At this point do you think she needs to go to see a vet?
She isn't even wanting to come inside which is so not like her.

Not if the vomiting stops with the directions provided above and she begins to feel like herself. If she continues to vomit or have associated symptoms such as the lethargy, yes, she absolutely needs to see your vet and diagnostics such as bloodwork and x-rays will need to be performed.

I have had to buy my girlfriend the same pair of shoes three times because she eats them over and over again when she get mad at us for being gone never has she drooled or been lethargic like this.
It seems vomiting has ceased but she isn't moving much. She did drink a good amount of water just a bit ago. How soon should I get her the Pepcid?

Kenneling her when she cannot be watched is likely going to be needed. Young dogs like her, and especially pitbulls, like to find their own entertainment when they are bored or lonely. I would give the Pepcid this evening and see how she does. If the symptoms persist, she needs to be seen. I would give the Pepcid immediately if you have it on hand.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I don't think I have it on hand just a pepto or acid reducer. Is there any other alternative being the hour it is. I got her inside. The drooling is lessening some and I'm laying with her
Yeah I have omeprazole or pepto basically
Or antacid tablets

I apologize for the delay. Your response did not come through until just now. You can use omeprazole instead. Dosing info is available here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/omeprazole-prilosec

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse